Kashipur (काशीपुर) is a city of Udham Singh Nagar district in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, it is Kumaun's third most populous city and the sixth most populous in Uttarakhand. According to the 2011 Census of India, the population is 121,623 for the city of Kashipur and 283,136 for Kashipur Tehsil.
Kashipur was known as Govishan during the time of harsha (606-647 AD), when Yuan-Chwang (631-641 AD) visited this region. The ruins of the large settlement of those days are still to be seen near the city. Kashipur is named after Kashinath Adhikari, the founder of the township and one of the officers of the Chand rulers of Kumaon in the middle age.
According to Ain-e-Akbari, this region was under the Kumaon rulers after 1588 AD. At that time it was ruled by King Devi Chand of the Chand Dynasty of Kumaon. Pandit Kashinath, an office bearer under King Devi Chand, laid the foundation of present day Kashipur. It remained under the rule of Chand Kings until the latter half of eighteenth century until Nand Ram, the then governor of Kashipur, became practically independent.
Kashipur was ceded to British in 1801, after which, it played a major role in the conquest of Kumaon during the Anglo-Gorkha war in 1815. After Kumaun was ceded to the British under the Treaty of Sugauli, Kashipur became the headquarters of Terai district in the Kumaon division. The Municipality of Kashipur was established in 1872, and was upgraded to a Municipal Corporation on 26 January 2013.
Poet Gumani has written a poem on this town. Girital and Drona Sagar are well known spots and are associated with the story of the Pandavas. The Chaiti mela is the best known fair of Kashipur. Today Kashipur is an important industrial township. In autumn (after mansoon) one can see the snowclad peaks of Trishul and its surroundings.
Kashipur is also religiously famous for Chaiti Mela, Maa Balsundari Temple, Shree Bheem Shankar (Moteshwar) Mahadev & Gurudwara Shri Nankana Sahib.
In July 2011, Indian Institute of Management Kashipur was established in Kashipur